I’m back from vacation, and I haven’t entirely gotten my head back together. We spent a glorious four and a half days in Maggie Valley, North Carolina. I love the mountains–the green, the cool air, the sweet little mom and pop shops everywhere. Now I’m back at home with a boatload of dishes to do and a couple of courses to plan (I start back to work on Tuesday).
To keep things short and simple, here’s my life in bullets:
- I’m reading Why Animals Matter, and it’s GREAT. I was extremely worried about reading about animal cruelty, and while it is difficult and horrible, the book seems to be impeccably researched. I’m almost done, so watch for the review at The Environmental Blog.
- I bought some awesome “Think Green” auto coasters on vacation. A little reminder, when I’m in the car, that I should not be drinking coffee from a to-go cup. Travel mugs, people!!!
- I finally found a great produce stand with workers that can readily tell me what’s grown locally. I’ll be stocking up on asparagus and strawberries tomorrow.
- I picked up a copy of Animal, Vegetable, Miracle on vacation (from an independent bookseller!), and I absolutely love it. This one could be life changing. I’ll keep you posted.
- I planted my herb garden. It’s absolutely assinine to spend the amount of money they charge for dried herbs. I realize I’m very late in planting, so we’ll see how the crop turns out. So far I have chives, dill, coriander, and basil planted.
Keep an eye out: I have recipes coming up for stuffed tomatoes and a heavenly cabbage stir fry. I’m thinking portobello and zuchini paninis via Heather’s Rambling Fancy blog for one of this week’s veggie meals.
Note: the new header is one of my shots from the Great Smoky Mountains National Park! Love it there!